Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Check it out-Culina Cafe


I stopped by one of my favorite Edmonton restaurants the other day for lunch: Culina Cafe. I used to live in the area and ate there at least once a week for a year or two. I think they actually might have been a little irritated at my regular presence and photographic recall of the menu. But, as always, things change-I moved, stopped eating out regularly, and just stopped going to Culina. And Culina just kept getting better. Owner and chef, Brad Lazarenko, has opened several other restaurants, expanded into BC, and still, Culina's food is simple, local, and delicious. Typically, the meals are breathtakingly beautiful as well as tasty. Most dishes base their flavor on fresh ingredients and are bolstered with clever taste pairings and subtle sauces. As usual, after my meal I felt wonderfully satisfied, healthy, and yet, still pampered.

The meal pictured here is the chophouse tomato and steak salad, with onions, blue cheese, spinach and a citrus dressing. Wow.

This week is the last week of Fork Fest, a celebratory week of menus presented by Original Fare -a consortium of Edmonton's local food entrepreneurs, of which Culina is a part. Meals are either $20 or $35 and are lovingly prepared to knock your socks off. So, go check it out.


Fork Fest 2008- Culina Cafe
first course: salad of romaine, cranberries, almonds, corn & feta, tossed in a sherry vinaigrette

second course: almond crusted red snapper served on a warm chickpea salad(couscous, peppers parsley & harissa)topped with avocado sour cream

third course: blueberry shortcakes with lychee cream


Price: $35.00

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny thing, I was just lying in unable to sleep, thinking of home and you popped into my head. As cliche as it is I goggled you and came across your blog. Glad to see your are well and still writing. You really have a great voice and style of writing... hope you don't mind if I continue reading...

Nik