Wednesday, August 02, 2006

No miniskirts after 35



What the F_? I was sitting on my bed in a hotel room this weekend with my friend, D, doing what we love best (and never get to do), drinking beer, eating pizza and watching What not to wear. I was casually laughing and throwing in my two cents about "Tomasita's new look" when D pointed out that one of the fashion "road signs" in the show intro said "No miniskirts after 35". I observed this with a laugh and then, after a 30 second delay, one of those classic cartoon "huuh?"s. Were they talking about me? Well shit, I am sitting on the bed wearing a jean miniskirt and am the ripe old age of 35. Nuts. I poo pooed the sign and then the whole show. But I haven't stopped thinking about this whole dressing appropriately thing and where exactly I fit into it all. I googled around today and found that a lot of women have been talking about this.

These blogs had huge discussions


And there is a good article I found in The Observer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I've read lots of your stuff the past two days and I have to tell you what an unbelievably refreshing writer you are! I am moved by tears...either through a tremendous empathy or else for love of laughter...and thus, my remark here! Imagine being a 51 year old and facing the prospect of yet another DRESS CODED teaching year. HELP!!! I hope that you will visit my blog...and that we can correspond somehow.